You’re abducted by aliens, but instead of poking and prodding you, they merely want to play a game of checkers.
- Where did the aliens come from?
- What is so intriguing to them about playing checkers?
- Who else have they abducted?
- What happens to those who can’t play checkers?
- Describe their planet or space ship.
- Do the aliens play fair or do they cheat?
This could be a good description piece.
A bear keeps trying to catch a fish in the stream. The fish swims off a few feet, turns around and laughs at the bear.
This happens several times.
The bear gets angry at first, but after 3 or 4 times he gets his feelings hurt and questions his ability to provide food.
Try two approaches with this one.
First, write it as a comedy. Add in some silly antics of the bear and the fish.
Second, write it as an emotional piece while describing the poor bear’s despair.
- How does it turn out?
- Will the fish sacrifice himself for the bear in the end, or help him to catch other fish?